The TelVue HyperCaster can integrate with several third party products. LiveU, Teradek, TriCaster, and virtual meeting platforms, such as Zoom and WebEx, can all become live feed sources. Some services, such as Skype and GoToMeeting, cannot easily integrate for a variety of reasons. For these solutions, OBS Studio by Open Broadcaster Software is a great option for capturing and streaming these live event applications. OBS generally allows capturing the application window from any running application, so these steps can be used to integrate the final output of almost any application with your HyperCaster.
You will need to have a Mac or PC that you can leave unattended running the application of your choosing in full screen, or alternatively have a web browser showing the session in full screen. For example, for Skype or GoToMeeting, you would run the client application and tune into the meeting as a participant, and stream that application window.
- On your HyperCaster, go to Config -> Feeds -> Live Streams and click the + icon to create a new stream source.
- Set the stream type to RTMP
- Name the source appropriately, such as OBS.
- For RTMP address, enter rtmp://127.0.0.1/telvue-rtmp/<stream_key>. Remember the stream key used, as you’ll need it later.
- For details on additional fields and options available when setting up RTMP feeds, consult the Feed Setup article.
- Click Save
Capturing Audio in OBS Studio on a Mac
For capturing audio on a Mac, you’ll need to install an additional OBS plugin.
- Download and install iShowU Audio Capture. Ensure you open your System Preferences and go to Security & Privacy. You may need to give permission to “Shiny White Box” to proceed. After installation, reboot the Mac.
- After rebooting, Open Audio MIDI Setup.
- Click the + button at the bottom left of the window.
- Choose Create Multi-Output Device.
- Check the boxes for Built-in Output and iShowU Audio Capture in the “Use” column.
- Check the box for Built-in Output in the Drift Correction column to prevent audio sync issues.
- Open System Preferences, then go to Sound.
- In the Output section, select your newly created multi-output device.
OBS Studio Setup on PC and Mac
- Download and install OBS Studio.
- When first launching OBS Studio, you will be asked whether you want to start the auto-configuration wizard. Choose Yes.
- On the next screen, we recommend that you choose the Optimize for Streaming option, which is the default option. Click Next.
- On the Video Settings screen, set the Base (Canvas) Resolution to 1920×1080. Set the FPS to “Either 60 or 30, but prefer 60 when possible.” Click Next.
- On the Stream Information page, set the Service to Custom…
- In the Server field, enter rtmp://<IP of your HyperCaster>/telvue-rtmp.
- Enter the <stream_key> entered on the HyperCaster for the stream key. To view the stream key, click “Show.” Click Next to start a bandwidth test to your server.
- OBS will then run a test to determine the ideal settings. You can review the settings on the “Final Results” page. You can always override the settings later. Click Apply Settings.
- Open OBS Preferences.
- Go to the Audio tab.
- On a Mac, next to Mic/Auxiliary Audio, choose iShowU Audio Capture. On a PC, choose USB Audio Codec. Click OK.
- In the main window, under Sources, click the + icon to add your video and audio sources.
- We recommend you use Window Capture and select GoToMeeting, Skype, or the appropriate application you wish to stream. Choose the option for the full-screen portion of the app. Click OK.
- If the desktop app isn’t a viable option for any reason, using a full-screen web browser aimed at the meeting URL should work just as well.
***Be aware that Window Capture of this will show any tabs or browser elements present. If the player tab is changed, the stream will reflect that change.***
- Scale and place the visual elements as you see fit within the frame.
Streaming Your Event
Once all of your elements are in place and you have the meeting event open and running, click Start Streaming.
On your HyperCaster, you should now see bitrate start to appear on the Config -> Feeds -> Live Streams page next to the OBS feed you created earlier. The stream source is now able to be scheduled for capture and/or live playout out to your channel.
After you have stopped the live stream event to your channel, you can safely exit your meeting application’s full-screen mode on the device running OBS. In OBS, click Stop Streaming.
As a best practice, it is also highly recommended that you record the live event to a file locally on the device running OBS Studio. This provides a backup recording in case there are any issues with recording the live stream, such as networking problems, or congestion over the Internet that may cause some dropouts. The locally recorded file can be uploaded to your HyperCaster after the event is finished, and will provide the highest quality copy.
- In OBS Studio, click on Settings.
- Click on Output.
- Under the Recording section, click Browse and select the desired filepath for the local recording.
- For Recoding Quality, you can select your preference. However, be aware that selecting “Same as stream” will make OBS Studio unable to pause the local recording.
- Set Recording Format to mp4 and click OK.