The TelVue TeleCast 2 encoder can stream to up to 3 destinations at the same time. You can configure more than 3 destinations to manage, but only 3 may be actively streaming simultaneously.
Streaming to YouTube involves sending a single RTMP stream to YouTube at the highest encode profile configured on your TeleCast 2’s Encoder page. YouTube creates an adaptive bitrate (ABR) stream from the incoming source.
Before you begin a live stream on YouTube for the first time, you have to enable your YouTube channel for live streaming.
- Confirm that your channel is verified and that you have no live stream restrictions in the last 90 days.
- Enable live streaming by going to YouTube Studio, then go to Other features in the left tab and choose Live stream now.
Note: Enabling a live stream for the first time may take up to 24 hours. Once enabled, your stream can go live instantly.
To create a live stream on YouTube:
- Go to https://www.youtube.com/live_dashboard.
- Enter a title, description, and other optional metadata.
- Under Encoder Setup, make note of the Server URL and Stream name/key fields. You will need these values when you set up your TeleCast 2. To view and copy the stream name/key to your clipboard, click the Reveal button.
Don’t share your stream name/key. Anyone who has access to your stream name/key information can stream video to your channel. A stream name/key can be used again after a live stream ends, unless the Reset button is pressed on the YouTube Live Dashboard. A consistent stream name/key is easier to manage with your TeleCast 2, as once it is configured in Destinations, you do not need to keep editing it. Keep in mind that you can only broadcast one live video at a time with your stream name/key.
To add the YouTube stream destination on your TeleCast 2:
- Log in to the TeleCast 2.
- Click on the Destinations tab.
- Click New.
- Set the Name to a name of your choosing.
- Set Service to YouTube.
- Paste in the Server URL from Step 3 in YouTube Setup above into the URL field on the TeleCast 2, ensuring to not paste the rtmp:// protocol prefix, as the TeleCast 2 already has that prefix in place.
- Paste in the Stream name/key from Step 3 in YouTube Setup above into the Stream field on the TeleCast 2.
- Enable Autostart if you want the TeleCast 2 to automatically start sending to YouTube whenever it boots up, for example if you intend to stream 24×7 to YouTube. NOTE: YouTube can and will suspend your YouTube channel if you are found to be streaming copyrighted material to their website, even if it’s only background music or a live performance.
- Click Save.
- Go to the Dashboard to conveniently start and stop sending to your YouTube Live event by clicking the start/stop buttons for the newly created YouTube Live destination.