Replacing Discontinued NOAA Radar Images
In December 2020, NOAA discontinued offering certain free National and Regional weather radar motion images that were useful for signage applications. We previously included some of these NOAA radar images in the central InfoVue Library, available for you to copy and paste for use in your own InfoVue account. You may have incorporated some of these images directly on your own as well. Unfortunately some of these NOAA images are no longer available.
The central InfoVue Library has been updated with NOAA alternatives including a high resolution, static National Radar image, and a lower resolution, motion National Radar image. Regional images are no longer available. NOAA has launched a new website for National and Regional radar, that may be of interest for signage as it evolves.
If you are using the discontinued images in your InfoVue account, those images will not display. This article explains how to replace the discontinued images with images that are supported.
- If you have radar image thumbnails in your content, playlists, or templates that look like the “old radar image” from the following screenshot, you are using the discontinued images.
- Copy in the new images from the InfoVue Library as follows:
- In the PLAYER Column, locate the INFOVUE LIBRARY entry and left click on it
- In the CONTENT column, locate the Weather Radar folder entry and left click on it.
- Right click on the Weather Radar you would like to use on your player ( ‘national_weather_loop_624x375’ and/or ‘national_weather_static_2500x1500’ and select COPY
- Paste the new images from the INFOVUE LIBRARY to your library as follows:
- In the PLAYER Column, locate your organization entry and left click on it.
- In the CONTENT column, select where you would like the radar maps to be located (this can be in the root of the MEDIA & TEMPLATES directory or under a separate folder).
- Right click in the MEDIA & TEMPLATES column where you want the radar maps to be located and click PASTE
- Locate all playlists and templates that contain the OLD Weather Radar maps and copy the new Weather Radar map into the playlist / template:
- Drag the new radar map (with the left mouse button) and drop it into the playlist either above or below the OLD radar map.
- Remove the discontinued images from all playlists and replace with the new images as follows:
- Right click on the OLD weather radar image in the MEDIA & TEMPLATES section and select REMOVE – this will delete the maps from ALL playlists and templates that had used the old maps
- Publish an update