Telestream discontinued Episode Pro in January 2017 – and will no longer support it after January 31, 2018. While existing Episode Pro software should continue to work – without changes – for long after the cutoff date for support, many users are looking for alternatives. One of the most reliable solutions out there is the Sorensen Squeeze encoding software.
What follows is a step-by-step guide to setting up Sorensen Squeeze to prepare files for the TelVue HyperCaster. Unlike Episode, Squeeze can only run one workflow at a time, but in that workflow, multiple folders can be watched for new content.
- Once you download and install Sorenson Squeeze and the TelVue presets for Squeeze (Download zip file here), create watch folders for each separate format and publishing option. For example, if you want HD and SD publication to the HyperCaster, that’s an HD folder and an SD folder.
- Locate the TelVue presets for Squeeze on the computer. Rename them something shorter, such as HC_HD and HC_SD, since when using watch folders, these preset names will be appended to the output filename.
- Open Squeeze.
- From the list on the left, under “Input Options” choose “Watch Folder.” Select the watch folder you wish to create a workflow for (HD, SD folders you created in step 1).
- Open a Finder/Explorer window and locate the preset files. Drag and drop all appropriate presets to right side of Squeeze. When prompted, choose the Favorites folder and click OK. You will need to do this for as many presets as you wish to add to favorites. This will make the presets visible in the Favorites tab of the Audience Presets. This does not automatically add the preset to the workflow.
- Drag and drop the appropriate preset to the watch folder listing on the right side of the program, ensuring you drop the appropriate preset on the appropriate watch folder.
- Under Publishing Options, click the ‘+’ icon. From the dropdown, choose “Send to FTP.” You can name this publishing option however makes the most sense to you, but probably “HyperCaster” would make the most sense. Enter the server IP address and set the path to import/media. User name and password are both psguser, unless you modified the psguser account password in the HyperCaster. Click “Verify Account.” If it checks out, click OK.
- Drag and drop the Publishing Option you just created to the watch folder.
- Repeat steps 4, 6, and 8 for the other watch folder.
- Save the workflow and then click “Squeeze It!”
- Optionally, for any manual transcodes not submitted through a watch folder, you can choose to not have the preset filename appended to the output filename by going to Edit>Preferences. If you click on the Output tab, under Output Filename Format, choose Custom/Advanced. Clear all fields from the dropdowns except for “SourceFileName.” Click OK.