The simplest way to add content to your HyperCaster is with a TelVue® Connect™ account. With TelVue Connect you can upload content to your Media Library by dragging and dropping the video files over any Internet connection, and then distribute these videos to your HyperCaster channels with a single click.
If you do not have a TelVue® Connect™ account, the following instructions apply:
Organizing Content on the Server
The HyperCaster supports a folder (directory) structure with sub-folders for content management and playout. The HyperCaster is configured with a primary media folder labeled vol1 (for Volume 1). Many servers have a shortcut to vol1 called upload, so \\nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn\upload will take you to \\nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn\vol1.
TelVue recommends that you keep all media files in the primary media folder. Use the Web Application content management tools to categorize the files and search them based on their metadata.
Adding Content to the Server
There are several methods for adding content to the server.
- Use Samba to Add Content via Drag and Drop
- Use FTP to Add Content
Use Samba to Add Content via Drag and Drop
Your server must be on a network in order to use Samba. You should already have mapped the HyperCaster media drive on a PC or Mac on the same network as your HyperCaster.
- Open a window on the PC or Mac and browse to the folder with the content you want to transfer to your server.
- Connect to the network drive you mapped for your server. You now have a second open window showing the highest-level folder on your server, such as vol1/import/media.
- Drag MPEG files from your local folder and drop them into your server’s import/media folder.
Use FTP to Add Content
FTP must be set to active mode for file sharing to work. The default FTP setting in most browsers is passive mode. Passive mode opens too many ports so it is not as secure.
Setting FTP Mode to Active in FileZilla
- Click on Edit → Settings to open the Settings window.
- Expand the Connections portion of the tree so you can see Transfer Mode on the right.
- Click on FTP and click the Active radio button to set FTP mode to Active.
- Make sure the Allow Fall back to other transfer mode on failure box is checked.
- In the FTP Keep-Alive section, make sure the Send FTP keep-alive commands box is checked.
- In the Settings tree, click on the Passive mode page.
- Make sure the Fall back to active mode box is checked.
- Click OK to save the settings and exit.
Running FTP with FileZilla
Before using FTP to transfer files, make sure it is set to Active Mode.
- Open FileZilla.
- In the Host box, enter the IP address of your server.
- Enter the username and password. (The defaults are both psguser.)
- Click the Quickconnect button. Your import folder (directory), which is usually vol1, is displayed in the Remote site pane on the right. If your server has multiple volumes you will be taken to the highest-level folder.
- In the Local pane on the left, browse for the file you want to transfer to your server.
- Drag the file into the media/psg/vol1/import/media directory. Dropping files into the import/media folder allows the HyperCaster to auto-import content.