Content Workflow Rules
The Content Workflow Rules feature allows you to fully automate publishing and archiving workflows when content is added to HyperCaster Collections (Series and Categories). Publishing targets supported include TelVue Connect for CloudCast Streaming/OTT, Media Exchange, and other Connect workflows. Archiving targets supported include Archive Servers (Networked Attached Storage devices, FTP, SMB) and Archive.org. Workflow Rules support defining a mapping from specific HyperCaster Collections to specific Connect Collections (Series, Playlists, Categories) and Syndication Groups (Media Exchange Public and Private Groups), specific Archive Servers, and specific Archive.org Collections. For example, you can define a rule so anytime a new episode is added to your Football Series, it is automatically published to your website, mobile, and OTT apps via CloudCast, shared on the Media Exchange, archived to your local archive server, and archived on Archive.org in a matching Internet Archive Collection. All automatically triggered uploading and archiving tasks from workflow rules are run in the background, and can be tracked on the Tasks tab.
Managing Workflow Rules
Admins can manage Workflow Rules by clicking Config → Content → Workflow Rules.
The Workflow Rules table shows the existing rules, with summary information. From this table, you can access several Workflow Rules actions:
- To create a new rule, click the addaction.
- To edit an existing rule, click the edit actionor click of the name of the rule.
- To copy an existing rule, click the copyaction. Copied rules will be set to inactive, and need to be edited to activate.
- To delete a rule, click the deleteaction.
When editing and adding rules, you will be presented with the Workflow Rules form. The Workflow Rules form contains multiple sections. Following is an explanation of the available fields for each section.
The General section includes the core metadata fields and various configuration options as follows:
- Name: Enter a name for the workflow rule.
- Description: Enter a description for the workflow rule.
- Active?: Activate this workflow rule. Only active workflow rules will trigger when content files are added to collections.
- Execute Rule on Activation?: Available only when a rule is first added. When this checkbox is selected and the workflow rule is saved, every content file in each collection in this rule will be sent to each target as if it was newly added. If a given content file has already been archived/uploaded to a specific target, duplicate tasks will not be created.
The Collections section defines when the rule is triggered and supports the following fields:
- Collections: Select one or more collections for this workflow rule to pull from. When a new content file is added to one of the selected collections, it will be automatically sent to each target.
The Target section defines where content is automatically published or archived when a rule is triggered. Multiple targets can be added to a rule. Each target supports the following fields:
- Target: Select one or more targets for this workflow rule to push to. Every time a content file is added to one of the selected collections, it will be automatically pushed to each target. Each target supports optional metadata to be passed along with the content file.
- Connect Targets support selecting to which Connect Series, Playlists, Categories, and Syndication Groups (Media Exchange Public and Private Groups) to publish. If none are selected, content will be pushed up to Connect but will not be automatically added to any Collections or Syndication Groups.
- Archive Server Targets support a Delete Afterwards? option for whether to delete the original from the HyperCaster upon successful archive. Original file deletion will wait until all related pending background jobs have completed.
- Archive.org Targets support selecting one or more of your configured Internet Archive (IA) Collections to push content into when archiving on Archive.org.
Click Save to save your changes.