TelVue CloudCast Video Player Release Notes
2.5.0 – October 24, 2019
- Closed Caption Search – Video Player now displays a Caption Search icon in the control bar for videos with closed captioning to allow searching the caption transcript for finding and jumping to areas of interest within a video. Clicking a search result jumps directly to the timestamp corresponding to the spoken words. The caption transcript is displayed next to the video. Sync mode enables keeping the video location and transcript locations synchronized when scrubbing the video or scrolling through the transcript.
2.4.2 – October 1, 2019
- Video Download Option – Video Player now supports optionally displaying a Video Download icon on the control bar to allow viewers to downloads videos directly. Whether the Video Download icon is displayed is managed via the player options in the Connect CMS.
2.4.1 – March 6, 2019
- Video Player now supports a Featured Collections top-level area that pins selected playlists and series to the top of the Home page. For example can be used to pin Live Streams to the top.
- Video Player performance optimizations to speed up initial load time.
- Video Player can optionally hide updated at timestamps on media and collections.
- Video Player no longer shows added date for Live Streams (will generally look “old” even though the Live Stream is current and fresh).
- Added support for entering or exiting full screen on Android devices when a user rotates their device.
- Rotating an Android device with a control-bar only (audio) player or when controls are disabled will not cause the player to go into fullscreen mode.
- Increased contrast ratio of the quality level label when “Auto” is selected.
- Changed focus behavior so that focus remains on the fullscreen icon when entering and exiting fullscreen.
- Added multiple channel support for EIA-608 Captions (CC1, CC2, CC3, CC4).
- Added a blue focus ring that appears around any focused element in the video player when accessed by keyboard, which improves focus visibility.
- Improved menu navigation to conform with accessibility standards; up and down arrows navigate items in a submenu, while tabbing selects different menus.
- Improved volume keyboard accessibility by separating the mute icon from the volume slider. Now, when a user tabs to the mute icon, hitting enter will mute or unmute the player. Tabbing out of the mute icon, the volume slider will appear and can be controlled. Tabbing out of the volume slider will hide the slider and move focus to the next focusable icon.
- Added the ability to focus on the time slider (progress bar).
- Added screen reader support to read out the current position when focused on the time slider or when seeking.
- Added screen reader support to read out the volume when changed.
- Added screen reader support to announce the video position changes when using the left and right arrow keyboard shortcuts while not focused on the timeline element.
- Added screen reader support to announce volume changes when using the up and down arrow keyboard shortcuts while not focused on the volume slider element.
- Fixes an issue where Video Player banner ads were not being scaled in a responsive manner.
- Fixed an issue where timeline thumbnails and chapter cue points did not display on touch devices when dragging to seek.
- Resolved an issue in which alternate audio tracks may not be detected for HLS streams when no video codec is specified in the manifest.
- Fixed an issue where it was difficult to differentiate between the text decoration of selected and hover states for items in the settings menu, causing confusion about which option was selected.
- Fixed an issue present in IE 11 on Windows 7 where viewers were unable to mute HLS content with the Flash provider.
- Fixed an intermittent issue causing ‘Cannot Load M3U8: 400’ errors in HLS live streams.
- Fixed an issue with players embedded through an iframe where the controls did not fade out when the user moused away from the video via the bottom of the player.
- Fixed an issue preventing menus from closing by hitting the ESC key.
- Fixed an issue In HLS streams where AAC segments with a timestamp of zero were considered to have no timestamp at all.
- Fixed a bug causing the volume slider to be read as a “left-right slider” when it is actually an “up-down slider.”
- Fixed an issue where screen readers did not read the mute button correctly.
- Fixed an issue in Safari when using the left and right arrow hotkeys to seek where screen readers did not announce the seek if there were multiple players on the page.
- Fixed an issue with HLS live streams where in-manifest VTT captions were not displaying consistently throughout the video.
- Fixed a bug where WebVTT did not show after a discontinuity in HLS streams.
- Fixed a bug where WebVTT did not show when captions were enabled after a seek in HLS streams.
- Fixed an issue where pausing and resuming a live stream with 708 captions would cause the captions to no longer be in sync with the video.
- Fixed an issue in Safari that caused duplicate captions tracks to appear in the menu of a small player (<320px wide) when switching captions in a live HLS stream with embedded WebVTT captions.
2.4 – June 14, 2018
- Keyboard shortcuts for all video player functions per WCAG 2.0.
- Playback speed settings, from 0.5 to 2x.
- Smart Adaptive (ABR) playback attempts to use the last successful rate rather than always starting at the lowest for new video plays.
- Auto setting for Adaptive (ABR) dynamically shows which rate is playing.
- Auto Start modes compatible with recent browser policy changes. Fixes having to click pause/play to get video going on some browsers. Unmute works properly for browsers that enforce muting on auto start.
- Updated menus and layout for access to settings including captions, quality/rates, sharing, and playback speed.
Deprecates RTMP stream playback, as the industry has quickly moved away from RTMP/Flash for playback (RTMP ingest is still fully supported by CloudCast).
*See the Connect release notes for prior CloudCast Video Player (noted as VOD Player) changes.